We know that the growth agenda in the Region is challenging, bringing a requirement to build many more homes, and in some cases whole new communities. But housing is also widely accepted to be a key determinant of health, in turn affecting the demand for and use of health and social care resources. The housing and health link becomes increasing important as we age, with older people spending an average of 80% of their time at home. Nationally the population is living longer, albeit not necessarily healthier, lives. In the region the over 65yrs+ population is projected to grow up by 46% by 2035.
This event has been put together by the Market Shaping and Commissioning Network on behalf of the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services in the Eastern Region, is about working together to improve housing options for older people, and people of working age who use adult social care services. It will bring together key speakers from Housing, Planning, Public Health, Architects and Adult Social Care to explore the barriers, challenges and future opportunities for people who need specialised housing or support.
Housing, Planning and Social Services authorities are addressing the requirements for growth and the ageing population locally in Strategic Housing Market Assessments, Local Plans and Joint Strategic Needs Assessment. But we need to work together across local authority boundaries and increasingly show we are a joined up region. And we need to address the challenges and opportunities in conjunction with commissioners, providers and people with lived experience.
The event will give delegates an opportunity to:
- hear from the President of ADASS about the priorities for the housing agenda regionally and nationally
- understand how demographics and analysis of health needs can help us to plan healthy homes and communities
- hear about how to design homes and the built environment for health and well-being
- hear about the opportunities to address the needs of an ageing population through the Local Plan process
- discuss and influence the future regional agenda on housing and health and well-being, and to explore opportunities for sharing information and for wider collaboration
An agenda will follow shorlty. In the meantime, to secure your place please book below.
The event is aimed at housing and planning authorities (both unitary and two tier) as well as adult social care and health commissioners. There are up to 7 or -8 places available for each authority so that we can ensure all the local perspectives are covered fully.
If you have any queries please contact Jayne Cole, Events Organiser, East of England LGA, email: firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 01284 758304
This event is being supported by the East of England LGA