A delegation from West Suffolk, including representative from health, housing and social care, will be travelling to Holland to examine the Buurtzorg model first hand; meeting patients, nurses and GPs to assess whether the model will deliver benefits in West Suffolk.
The study visit has been arranged to see first-hand how Buurtzorg works. Along with meeting the Buurtzorg founder, Jos De Blok, the delegation will get to spend time with nurses and their clients in a rural setting. This will include joining a morning round with a Buurtzorg nurse and meeting people from the networks around a Buurtzorg Plus team - including therapists, GP's, and voluntary groups. It will also provide the opportunity to look in-depth at the support function including gaining a greater understanding of the IT system which supports the team (the Buurtzorgweb and OMAHA holistic classification system), as well as learning more about the coaching model and the roles within self-managing teams.
The group will also get the opportunity to hear from organisations who transitioned to the Buurtzorg model of care to share learning about how an existing organisation with an established culture can transition to the Buurtzorg model.
In addition, we have a number of big questions we are looking to answer through the visit, such as:
- Do Buurtzorg client’s have the same level of complexity as clients seen in West Suffolk?
- Could the Buurtzorg care model work in a whole-population context as well as in a market place?
- How 24/7 coverage managed and how would this work in our own context?
- How does Buurtzorg work within the wider system in the area, including hospitals, GPs and Care Homes to avoid admission to acute and handle discharge from hospital?
- What role do local housing providers play in supporting people to remain living at home, such as aids, adaptations or accommodation?
- How does Buurtzorg approach continual professional development?
- How does IT support holistic care, quality assurance and clarity on interventions and outcomes?
- How do the teams handle safeguarding issues/complaints within the self-managed process?
The outcomes of the visit will be shared in the next couple of weeks.
« Back to Showcase