TUPE - a practical workshop
East of England LGA Offices, Flempton House, Flempton, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP28 6EG
This half day workshop will give delegates the knowledge they need of the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations to apply the regulations to the widening range of new methods of service delivery that we are encountering.
The Regulations are a minefield for the unwary. Contradictory caselaw, along with developments in how Courts and Tribunals are applying the concept of a 'service provision' contract, mean that a good appreciation of the legal requirements is necessary for anyone dealing with potential transfers.
This workshop will be useful for:
- HR/personnel specialists,
- Solicitors who have not had experience in this area, and
- managers who have responsibility for leading/managing a transfer.
We will cover in particular the following key questions:
- what is a 'TUPE transfer', especially for 'service provision' contracts
- which workers are in the entity being transferred, and what steps can be taken where the position is not clear, e.g. those partly working there, employees who are away at the time of the transfer, and the impact on casual/fixed-term and agency contracts
- consultation with the workforces involved and/or their representatives: who informs and consults whom, about what, and when? What if they don't?
- what are the rights, duties etc. that transfer to the new employer, and what information does the old employer need to give about this? What about pensions, particularly in the public sector?
- when and how can the new employer implement changes to the terms of employment of those who have transferred?
- as an employer, what do you actually DO to make a transfer happen?
- are there alternatives to a TUPE transfer when externalising public sector services (the 'retention of employment model,' 'partnership working' etc)?
Although we will be covering the actual wording of the law and the theory behind it, the workshop will be as interactive as possible, with delegates welcome to discuss policy and operational problems.
The workshop will be led by John Anslow, an employment law adviser, who was previously with what is now The Employers' Organisation for Local Government. He has been involved with TUPE from its early days, particularly as it operates in the public sector. His company, Anslow Communications Limited (www.anslow.co.uk) undertakes advice, gives training and publishes guidance in this and other fields of management practice.
If you have any queries please contact Jayne Cole, Events Organiser, East of England LGA, e-mail: email@example.com tel: 01284 729405
The cost to attend this half day workshop is: - £60.00 + VAT