We are committed to helping ensure that local government in the East of England has:
- fair public funding and the freedom and powers to stimulate economic growth
- the opportunity to work collaboratively to ensure that they are better-placed to take strategic investment decisions, learn from each other and lobby for investment from public, private and European sources to bring about the best possible services for their communities
- the capacity to deliver quality and cost-effective services to make life better for local people.
We do so by delivering:
- Collaborative working – bringing together groups of authorities to harness their collective strength and knowledge. This includes, for example, delivering a regional contracts database to achieve efficiencies and networks of practice to share learning and prevent duplication.
- Advice and support to authorities - on key issues such as HR, procurement, asset management and environmental services.
- Delivering projects and services – in-depth work and delivery around key issues such as supporting authorities with implementing the health reforms, optimising waste services and Chief Executive recruitment, as a few examples.
The East of England LGA is governed by the Leader or elected Mayor of each of the 52 authorities. Day to day management is provided by a management committee of five Leaders who are representative of the political proportionality of the region.
The Management Committee includes:
- Cllr Tony Jackson (Chairman, Conservative), Leader of East Herts Council
- Cllr Marco Cereste (Vice-Chairman, Conservative), Leader of Peterborough City Council
- Dave Hodgson (Group Leader, Liberal Democrat), Mayor of Bedford Borough Council
- Cllr Roy Davis (Group Leader, Labour), Luton Borough Council
- Cllr David Finch (Conservative), Leader of Essex County Council
The Lead Chief Executive for the East of England LGA is Richard Carr, Chief Executive, Central Bedfordshire Council.
The organisation has a small core of highly experienced and committed officers to support member authorities. Additionally, member authorities can draw upon specialist expertise from the existing associate pool of over 100 high quality associates in the Talent Bank.